Monday, December 14, 2015

Vortex (Transfers again)

Dear Family and Friends,
 
Transfer news first: I received a call to a new area with another Brand New companion from the MTC! This is such a bittersweet moment. With so much going through my mind and happening in my life right now, I can only understand that the Lord is in control and he will put me where he needs me to be. I will send updated address and contact info as soon as I am settled in next week. All of your prayers and letters are greatly appreciated, I'm "feelin' the Love" I guess you could say. :)
 
It is an exhilarating time of year and there is never a moment to spare. If you think about how many things are competing for your attention right now, it could bring reasonable doubt for any hope of believing there can be peace and stillness in our lives. Yet with an understanding of the Gospel of Jesus Christ there is a perfect stillness and purity that rises above all else. Eternal Life is what we all came here to achieve, and yet there are so many things that when we get focused in on them our vision becomes blurred and we forget the simplicity of pure truth. What voice are we really listening to? The voice of the spirit will clearly lead us in the path to this greatest gift of God, Eternal Life.
 
We had a mission conference this week, it was very powerful. For me I have to examine myself through yet another view of the refining process. To start where we are is the only reasonable request any servant of God can make. God doesn't expect perfection over night, then how or why could we ever expect it right now from others and then simply excuse each of our shortcomings and often similar mistakes to those we see in others. A view of indicators of conversion can help us to quickly identify where to improve. Elder Bennett who addressed us in the conference outlined four characteristics of God's Elect right now. First they must hear the voice of Lord (D&C 1:38 "...whether by mine own voice, or the voice of my servants it is the same.") Second they must Harden NOT their hearts. Third we must be Willing to believe that which we hear. Lastly, we must harken unto the council. Would it not be sin if we knew something could be true and we did not try to apply it? This is God's pattern. He will never coerce or deceive anyone into following him. Instead, we by our own will and desires are lead to "strange roads" through life because of our own hard heartedness or doubt or willful ignorance of and against pure simple truth. Again I add, we start from where we are now, and TRY our best to follow the Lord, and he will powerfully and perfectly testify to us in a very personal and individual way that what we are doing is pleasing unto him. With this witness we are strengthened in our Faith and we have built upon the Rock of Revelation which is the fountain of all truth and knowledge, and wisdom. This is how we are more lead to a deeper and more meaningful conversion to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This I have seen countless times as I have served among the wonderful people here in Alamo. I have learned much from the people here, and I will ever be grateful. I feel like I am leaving a little piece of my heart behind. My Mom once taught me that she was scared to have her second child because she didn't feel like she could "divide" the love she had for her first child. After giving birth she realized that she did not have to divide her love, instead it would be multiplied and magnified in this new venture. That is how I feel right now.
 
I am excited for a new adventure, and who knows what awaits! May each of you be blessed and truly find peace this Christmas season not because of the season, but because of the reason. As my favorite Scriptures says (No time to write it all) 1 Peter 3: 15-18. Needless to say, the Gospel of Jesus Christ is perfect and it brings me such peace, no matter what vortex of the world swirls around.
 
Ayoo' Iniinishni
 
Elder McGarry 

 Us and the senior missionaries assigned from the Stake. Elder and Sister Kinsley.
Me and Elder Summers (From Tremonton UT!) up the canyon on P-Day​

No comments:

Post a Comment