Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Self-Mastery (vs. Nehor)

Dear Family and Friends,
 
The first part of my letter just got moved to the last part. It's just a thought process that really influenced the way that I look at things and I felt I should share it. First and foremost though, I though I'd say I'm doing Great! I have had some pretty interesting experiences this week. One in particular, we were talking to a member of out Branch as we filled up our cooler with fresh water when a modern day "Nehor" came and engaged us in conversation (or condescension more like). He introduced himself as a preacher and a missionary. He then proceeded to take every single point of doctrine that he could think of and began to contradict it so as to inflict doubt and fear in us and the member (whom he obviously was not aware that she was a member.) Admittedly, I was taken aback, hoping initially to have a reasonable and uplifting conversation about Christ. Instead we were barraged with an onslaught of accusations and implications that we had been "deceived" and that God is a spirit and so many other things. At a moment that seemed as though he would let up, the member we were with voiced her bold declaration that she was a "Mormon" and she didn't appreciate his telling any of us how to believe and anything else that he had said. My thoughts were "YES! WHAT A CHAMP!" and my words were simply that we would love to continue to discus the topic but in a civilized manner. This was a very eye opening experience and I was so proud of that member who proudly stood up and said that she knew what she believed was true. What a testimony builder for her and her sister. This experience illustrated a principle that our mission president had endeavored to instill by inviting us to study a talk by Lynn G Robins on "Tasting the Light of Christ" The idea is that as we compare light and truth with it's opposite we can gain a greater illumination of what we know to be true. How true that is. My God is an eternal being of Flesh and Blood and Jesus Christ is his Son. Jesus Christ the first born in spirit making him my eldest brother in the family of God and the Only Begotten of the father in the flesh, from whence his divine son ship is complete and his power is endless and encompassing.  The spirit of God is the third member of that perfectly unified Godhead and they in unity are the very eternal head of this gospel and universe.
 
In other news we have a few baptisms to mention. On Oct. 2 we will have a baptism for Kymelia who is so excited! She is 8 and her love for the Book of Mormon is so refreshing! Angela and Marvin are still progressing well. Overall the work is progressing and I am loving my time here in the Alamo :) One note of humor, my companion is being trained In Alamo, and the only other elder in the mission that was trained here called himself the last air-bender. He is an AP and he'll be going home before too long which means, I will be the Trainer and mission father of the last air-bender!! Ok ok I know that's kind of nerdy but it's kind of cool too :) This next one is my thought for the week, but it's kind of long so enter at your own accord. Otherwise, I love you all and hope you have a great week!
 
Endeavoring to establish a more perfect union, my learning and growth this week has been focused on self-mastery. There are so many times that people will say, "That is what the Gospel is all about." Well I think that there are many things that could be tagged with that statement, probably Love as being the most common. I think that Love is the most frequent result of living the Gospel. It is also the motivating force Behind a true commitment to follow the teaching of the gospel "...press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of All men..." (2 Nephi 31:20) For me I have become aware of SO many things that I could do to be better, and SO many habits that I would like to develop, and so many traits that I would like to have as a person. But I just get lost trying to keep track of them let alone even trying to apply them in my life. This is why The one and ONLY way is to Believe in Christ and to follow his teachings. Within that realm there are only a very few specific things that we are able given strict command to do or not to do. For most things though we are allowed to Choose, agency, and we are just left to our own devices with the guidance of the spirit to become the best that we can be. I have realized that the two choices in all that we do, good or bad, are really better interpreted as spiritually beneficial or temporally beneficial. Our natural senses are constantly striving to be satisfied, and appeased. Our senses feel pleasure and the consequence is a good feeling right now. Before I get all theoretical and stuff I'll wrap this up. I guess the biggest thing that I realized is that every choice we make is are we doing this as an appeasement of our natural senses, or is this truly going to guide me to be my very best self? Self-mastery is the opposite of carnal mindedness, sensuality, and ultimately the Natural man. Seeking for self mastery is a life long pursuit and the Gospel is the way that we are able to be totally freed from guilt and suffering. Jesus was the perfect and willing sacrifice that gave his life for us. He is also the Son of God. As we sacrifice the things in this life that are not in alignment with God's eternal plan for us then we will feel of the truth and power of his love. That is repentance and the path to self-mastery.
 
That's my thought, hopefully it made sense! Take... Luck  :) 
Ayoo'Aniinishni

Elder McGarry


It's hard to climb in Dress shoes... This is Box Canyon :)
Another view, with a cave :)

No comments:

Post a Comment