Tuesday, September 8, 2015

"Know Thee, the only True God"

Dear Family and Friends,
 
I am so grateful for your letters and support, and also for your challenges that you share with faith to overcome. This week for me has been interesting as well as challenging with a lot that I've overcome. It is so great to be alive :) My Companion is doing so awesome. We are getting to know each other better every day, and training is teaching me so much!
We had a zone training this last Friday. That's always fun, and inspiring. I have been studying a lot about revelation and recognizing the spirit this week. Having revelation is not only recognizing that the spirit is touching you, but know what it is trying to say. I won't talk about it too much but Revelation is so Important. Why do we tell children "Say NO to Drugs!" Well it's so that when they come to that moment when they have to make the decision for themselves and it's only their friends around and they are all doing it, they know why they don't want to. That is like preparing ourselves to receive revelation. We are taught to "Listen to the Still Small Voice!" It is an invitation to receive revelation and it will, most of the time, only be you that has to make the decision. Then we must ACT. I like to say and have said many times these past few weeks, We have to get our feet wet! Moses didn't part the Red Sea just by standing on the banks. He walked into the Sea. So too, we must walk into the biggest of our obstacles and face them with Faith that God will bring Miracles about. (D&C 8:2-3)
 
The thing that stood out to me most this week though was about the Character of God. We have the ability to come to know our Savior and our Father by our own contemplation, study, and prayer. But let me be clear, there is No substitute for actually going and doing the things we learn. If we want to know God we Must serve our fellow brothers and sisters (Mosiah 5:13). I know My circumstances are ideal for that, and I am so grateful. As we learn how to serve even those who may hate us or cause us grief, then we know little piece of the feelings Christ had when he said, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." The Character of Christ is so unfathomable at times, but we learn it by experience. We do not learn it by reading it in a book. We will not learn it in an instant when we returns to live with us again. It is learned by constantly remembering him and striving to act the way that he would act in every circumstance. I have come to better understand this principle this week by choosing to listen to the spirit and trying to be more spiritually sensitive. Another big part of this learning for me was through fasting. We further relieve the burdens of the oppressed and loose the bands of wickedness as we Fast and put off our own needs. I am better understanding what it really means to Hunger and Thirst after Righteousness. The work here in Alamo is moving forward. We are constantly pushing forward. We have had progress with Less-Active members who have not had much progress for years. That is exciting. We are always struggling to help people come to church, members and non-members alike. For me it is comforting to know that amid the greatest struggles come the greatest blessings. I feel blessed beyond measure, more than I ever could even deserve. And still the Lord only asks that we do our very best, a very miniscule and meager repayment for what he has done for all of us. By doing these things though, we truly come to Know our Father and his Son whom he did send. (John 17:3)
 
I send my love and admiration. I am going to try to get back to those of you who I have not by next week. Know that I do read your letters and I'm so glad to hear from you all :) One special note too, Jennifer (My little Sister) Good luck in the MTC tomorrow. Get ready to write a lot of notes and listen to the spirit! It will become your best friend in No time :) I Love you and wish you the best at the beginning of the rest of your life.
 
 
I hope you all have a great week!
 
​Ayoo' Aniinishni​
Elder McGarry 

Beautiful Alamo in the "Eye" of the storm :)

Elder Dunn making mush for Blue Corn Tamales ​(I cut the kernels off the cobs)


No comments:

Post a Comment