Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Lovingly (not lovely, though that may be true too)

Dear Family and Friends,
 
This week has been a whirlwind, starting out with a new companion, training, the Socorro area opening and two elders crashing at our pad for two nights. I can't believe the things that the Lord helps us to accomplish every day that we devote to him. My new Companion is Elder Dunn. He is from Spring Creek Nevada (North East) and he is awesome! We are looking forward to a couple of Baptisms, Angela and Marvin will be the next ones I foresee.
 
I had a super awesome experience last week. We had come up for transfers and were staying in Albuquerque for the night with the District leader. We had one hour before we met up with that companionship to go on visits with them and I had a feeling we should stop by Donald from my last area since he was nearby. Normally I wouldn't just do that but the circumstances and the prompting made it such that I couldn't pass it by. We had a short and powerful lesson. As we were leaving Glorya, his mother, told us that they had needed a visit. They were going to call the elders but felt that they couldn't and so she had prayed for a miracle. She told me that just as soon as she offered up that desire she heard what she thought was the neighbor slam their door, but really it was my companion and I getting out of the car to visit. I know that the spirit speaks to us, and if we listen we will be in the right place at the right time.
 
The Spirit teaches us to do things out of Love. Sometimes they don't make sense, in fact more often than not they could make us feel awkward. It has been witnessed to me this week that the Gospel is not something that we live because it makes sense. Even though when we live it truly it does make sense. We live the Gospel because it is true. We had two people we talked to at a Pep Boys as we got our oils changed. The first was an atheist. We got hi talking by asking him his perspective. I was able to share a scripture that I had just underlined from 2 Nephi 2:9-13 ish. The principle is that if there was no law there would be no God. If there is no God then we would not exist. Looking back I think, man that doesn't make sense to share that with an atheist. But the Spirit told me to do it, and the conversation that he lead was what introduced the scripture. It is so cool to me that if we love the Lord and our fellow men enough, then there will be a way provided to instill a fragment of truth and to do so lovingly just as the savior would. That doesn't make it easy, and it may not even make any difference in the moment, but over time it is all for a purpose. I wonder at the meticulous care and attention that he pays to each of our lives. I hope that each of you can see his hand in your lives as well. I know that he loves you, as do I.
 
Ayoo' Aniinishni
 
Elder McGarry 

Elder McUne's last view of Alamo

Elder Dunn's first view of Alamo (squinty eyes from bright sun :)​


No comments:

Post a Comment