Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Navajo :)

Dear Family and Friends,

First week in Alamo has been a great one! Just getting to know the people here is awesome. I am learning that the people here thrive off of sarcasm and dry humor about every word you say. It is kind of fun sometimes. I am also learning Navajo words here and there. I am super stoked about that. I was excited when I looked around the apartment and found a few Navajo language books. But to my disappointment, reading Navajo is something even many of the native speakers struggle with. I don't know if any of you have tried it but man... So Many Vowels! Anyway I have resorted to asking people as we go along and writing down the pronunciation since it would be futile for me to even try to spell many of the words. Luckily we have the first councilor of the branch presidency that helps us and wants us to write a testimony and he is going to translate it and help us learn how to say it. That is something I am excited for. 
The work in Alamo is a whole new ball game. As I mentioned to my mission president there is a lot of pain and sorrow that goes on here, it is almost an audible groan and a feeling with the land. We just went on a hike today where there was a big open plain between two plateaus and apparently there was a big war there at one point because you can find arrow heads all over. We didn't get to do that but maybe another P-day we will have the chance. It is also a very spiritual place. The Gospel has the power to overcome all things and I am so very grateful for the Gospel in my life. The Lord has blessed us all with so much and continues to bless his children every day. 
I have been impressed to study the Book of Daniel a lot lately. It fascinates me that this is the same time that Lehi is probably getting to America and things are setting the foundation for the Book of Mormon. But King Nebuchadnezzar was a very interesting guy. He had a lot of Pride, but also quite a bit of humility. Now it was pretty noticeably inflicted by his night terrors as he probably called them. But still he had a few times where he really had things set out right. One of the first Gentiles, per say, when the prophesy was fulfilled that the gospel would be taken from the Jews and given to them. He had seven years that we was living homeless. He was at the head of one of the mightiest empires in the world, and also a homeless vagabond and all the way back up again. Daniel is more of a steady example of righteousness. He had tremendous blessings from the Word of Wisdom of his day. He was highly favored of the Lord because he was steadfast in his mind and determined to serve God. Mosiah 4 talks about how we can receive knowledge through repentance. I feel that we all have need to repent. Why else would the Lord give us the sacrament each week. I am not always steadfast as I should be, but I try continually to change my nature and my character to be what God wants me to be. I hope that each of you are finding the things that God wants for you. He has so many blessings in store, and more often than not, those blessings come disguised as trials. Look forward with Faith knowing that by holding to the Iron Rod that the mist of darkness will not take you off your course. The goal is at the end of that rod and nowhere else. "Doubt not, Fear not for I am with you." are the words the Savior wants you to hear. This I know because I have felt is and know of the portion of his love that he has poured out on me. 

Ayoo' Aniinishni :)
 
Elder McGarry
 
P.S. I didn't want to have to say this but I am a little backed up on E-mails. If I didn't respond to you yet I'm sorry I will soon. I still love you very much and thank you for your love and support.



Angelita's Baptism last Saturday in Soccoro NM (It's the nearest Font)


Meditating on the Plataea over the plain of the ancient battle as we were told :)

No comments:

Post a Comment