Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Desires

Dear Family and Friends,
 
I am so happy this week Mike got Baptized! He started the Alamo Miracle Church years ago and we have been meeting with him quite regularly since I got here. He is wheelchair bound so I had to help him down into the font and also back out which was a really humbling and great experience. How much do we really take for granted? Anyway, Mike had told us much about the history of the Res in our discussions. Much of it is sad history, and even more of it all of it really is fulfillment of Prophesy within the first few books of the Book Of Mormon. I can say even more so now that I know the Book Of Mormon is true. I am blessed to be in the literal action of fulfilling the prophesies of Nephi of old, bring the Gospel to his people. You look at the Book of Mormon with new eyes and a very unique perspective when you are in these shoes. I can bear testimony of that. What a blessing.
 
The Gospel is so simple yet so completely comprehensive in our lives. I think that is the easiest way I can put it. As we understand doctrine we becomes unshaken in our faith. It is through the revelations of prophets throughout this earth's temporal existence that we know these doctrines. How do we know if we are built upon the foundation of Christ with pure and sound doctrine? Through personal revelation. I talked a little about that last time. Today I want to share another thought that has influenced me greatly for this week and many years to come. King Noah, as we know him is a wicked man. I think most people would agree that he is a perfect example of what not to be or do. I am going to be so bold as to say that not many of us are so different from him. Now let me explain a little why. No none of you are sinful and as wicked as he was, or at least I hope not. But King Noah did not get the way he was described overnight. When he finally did take over the kingdom after his father's death he did change everything for the worse, but what does it say about him and his character? HE "followed after the Desires of His heart." I see so often that my desires are not necessarily evil, but they are not what Christ would do. I think that one of the best indicators of our personal commitment to follow the Lord is our worship and our attitude toward Sabbath day observance. It's not a wonder why the last general conference talk was on the Sabbath being a delight. That is a big emphasis in the church because we need to change our desires to Righteousness. I don't mean to say that I am perfect in this either, I am by far the opposite. But if we are being told that we can't even do the Sabbath right then our desires are not in alignment with God. 
 
 The Sabbath is a day to "rest from [our] labors and to pay [our] devotions unto the most high." I can say that my desire even this Sunday was not in alignment with God's. It was a long drive to conference I'll admit I was not in as delightful mood as I could have been to go. My eyes were opened because I saw that King Noah as wicked as he was, started out only following a simple desire of his heart, and it's not doctrine, but I think that he probably didn't go to Church on Sunday. As a result neither did his people, and look what happened to them. What was the first thing that Alma did to fix that when every that was righteous converted? He established order in the Church and consecrated Priests (to bless and pass the Sacrament) and Teachers to bring the people to a Remembrance of their Duty. The Sabbath is not just a day to rest from our labors, it is a delight because we get to align our will with God's will. We have to put off our own selfish desires and that will bring great blessings. The Lord Promises (D&C 59:9 "And that thou mayest for fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day." Is that not the admonition of the Savior to live in the World but not of the world. I know that the Lord will answer our prayers only as we are faithful to His commandments. I know that He loves each of you and that He Desires for you to be happy and live with him. And I know that as we dedicate that sanctified day completely and totally to the Lord, our own lives will be more prosperous and more joyful to a measure that is beyond all comprehension. Press on and delight in the Gospel. Do not be ashamed nor afraid, but believe and be an example of it by your actions. I love you all and I hope that you have a great week! 
 
Elder McGarry

Mike's Baptism

Stuffed Fry Bread From Louie :) Res Food, we got some again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment