Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Revelation

Dear Family and Friends,
 
Another week in Alamo! I got sick on Saturday and that hasn't been very fun but I've been able to keep working and get stuff done too. There was a big archery event on Saturday put on by the Apachito family and people came from all over the state to participate. The prizes were custom made belt buckles and bracelets and a whole bunch of other stuff. Obviously I didn't get one but if I had been able to participate i.e. not a missionary for a day, I'd like to say I would have gotten one. Anyway the Baptism that we had when I first got here was for Angelita and she played a big role in planning and putting everything together for it so we went to support her family for a bit.
 
To move on to more important things, revelation is something that we receive in the moment. I have often times tried to get answers and revelation in a moment by asking and then by trying to listen for a voice in my head telling me what I needed to know, or by opening a scripture to read exactly what it is I am searching for. Yes these are some ways to receive revelation. I think though, that these only last for a little while. By that I mean that it's pretty easy on our part and doesn't take much effort so it's really nice. When we really learn how to receive revelation though, then we are accountable for that knowledge and we have to put in the effort to get it. For me that meant asking, wondering, pondering, waiting, waiting, and acting. I don't really know how to describe it better than that and the revelation that we receive is always individual so it would be considered a Pearl of Great price to only the person who it is applicable for. I think though, the big thing that is applicable to everyone that I came across was, "Wo unto them that are at ease in Zion". Zion is the state of a man's soul as Brigham Young said. There is so much to learn and so much to do in God's kingdom. I think I am finally truly understanding what Henry B. Eyring taught in conference. It takes consistent and regular connection with the spirit in order to receive the answers that we are seeking in the moment that we need them. Otherwise we get knocked back and things seem to go down the toilet according to the plan that we have made. In retrospect of my relatively short life up to this point I see many times when God tried to tell me something and I didn't really 'hear' so I had to suffer through some things that I would not have had to if I had been ready for the counsel he gave. Receiving revelation is tough. It can be exhausting really. And to be honest when we receive it then we have more to do than we did before. So what makes it desirable? If we don't receive it then we cannot make progress. If we don't receive it with gladness then we Will not progress, or in other words we will most likely choose not to. It is desirable because it helps us to make it back to God. Without revelation we would not have the plain simple truths of the Gospel. I hope this makes a little sense. I have struggled to put this to words.
 
In short I am so thankful for prophets who have dedicated so much to receive the revelation necessary for us to know these truths of the gospel. I am thankful for the scriptures that take us two seconds to open and read and then we are filled with eons of knowledge and wisdom from the creator of vast universes. More importantly that those revelations are all a perfect example of just how much our Father in Heaven really loves each one of us. I'm thankful that I have such an ability to read and learn so easily especially the words of God. The quote from Mark Twain stands out in this aspect "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." I don't think the best form of worship is emulation. I think the Only kind of true worship is emulation. Emulation of Jesus Christ who was the perfect example. Anything short of that is hypocrisy and is not acceptable before the Lord. I know that the Lord wants more from us than we think we can offer. But I also know that the enabling power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, through faith in him, gives us access to limitless power and potential. Let us not forget the reason for which we are here. Let us continue faithfully in magnifying our office to which we have been appointed, then stand cheerfully to see the arm of god to be revealed. I hope that you are all well and enjoying all the beauty that this life brings. Look outward and serve to be filled with the love of Christ.
 
Ayoo' Aniinishn
 
Elder McGarry
 
Out to see some petroglyphs on the Res.

Buckles and Bracelet from the Archery Shoot
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment