Monday, July 6, 2015

A Land of Liberty

Dear Family and Friends,
Here I am at the start of another transfer. (Sorry for the lack of heads up last week for the switched e-mailing day! I'll try to do better!) My Companion and I are going to stay in Alamo at least another six weeks! We have had a whole lot of rain lately. Haha, Elder Funk (The vehicle coordinator) is not going to like that news because we have 95% dirt raods that we travel on. 4 Wheel Drive is a must because the 80%sand 20%clay soil in this area makes one slippery road to drive on when it is wet and one joy of a mess to clean up after. But in other news, HAPPY (Belated) 4TH OF JULY! I hope that you all enjoyed it greatly. Remember 2 Nephi 1:7. Now that I think about it I will write about that most of today so let me digress for just one moment to some follow-up notes from last week.

I want, not to apologize for the 'chastening', but to explain my reasons why I said what I did. In the Story of the people of Zeniff who is King Noah's Father, I see a very direct link to where we are in life today. Zeniff left the people of his home land, so did Columbus (Columbus is the closest parallel to our day I could put in one word.) He settled in a land of inheritance, so did Columbus. His people were righteous for a while and then they had rulers put over them that chose wickedness over righteousness. Have not we seen the same things happen in relatively similar progression? Just yesterday (Church-wide statement released on the supreme court decision legalizing homogamy or same gender marriages under the law) our prophets have told us that our Nation's Leaders are in outright rebellion against one of God's most divine and sacred commandments. I can't remember who it was that said it but one of the apostles mentioned something along the lines of Sometimes we can't just read the scriptures, sometimes we have to live them. Doesn't it say that King Noah caused his people to commit sins and abominations.
I have to put a plug in here. I don't want to sound insensitive or hardhearted, because I do not feel that way at all. I know that his is a very sensitive subject and I do want to express my love and my sincere desire for to understand and help anyone that may be effected directly by this topic. 

The things that happened to Noah's people are almost a direct comparison to the things we are dealing with today. And my only desire is to emphasize the eternal importance and significance of keeping God's commandments and NOT "following after the desires of our heart" as did King Noah. The Lord is very compassionate and loving. He has a perfect understanding and He has overcome ALL temptation and then for our sakes and for the sake of those that give in to temptation, He continued to suffer for the sins of all of God's children. All this so that, "We might now suffer if we would repent." I hope that I can begin to express my love and desire for all of you to stay strong in the testimony of the Book of Mormon. It is the Word of God and it will truly point us to God's Kingdom. Even among people and in the midst of a nation that openly condones abominations of all kinds not only immorality but insensitivity, greed, hate, murders, wars, and indeed the very definition of "calling good evil, and evil good," WE as faithful and active participants in the Gospel of Jesus Christ can indeed have our burdens lightened and our hearts put at peace. The Lord's Promise in 2 Nephi 1:7 is still in effect today, and I know that to be true. IT has effect on a national scale but more directly on an individual level. God will protect each one of us only through obedience, the first law of heaven. The Prophets have declared many times and are declaring many times to all the world and many Would and Will not hear. For those that keep faithfully following the commandments there will be so much in store. For me this knowledge is exciting and liberating. This is a land of Liberty for All who choose to hear the words of the Lord through the scriptures and through living prophets. Again I turn to the story of King Noah and close with this thought, how many people actually listened to the Prophet? How many people were left in the 'general population' of the city and then subject to bondage and burdens and afflictions? I invite each of us to consider the standing that we have. Are we just being passive receivers of whatever come our way, or are we seeking the word of the Lord. The followers who made it out of bondage at that time were the ones who sought out Alma in the forest and learned the words of Christ. They had farms and jobs and families to support and friends to hang out with and other activities too. This has been weighing heavily on my mind and I hope that I can effectively share it with the people here that I serve. We are in a very wonderful time on the earth. I know that the Work of the Lord is hastening and we are part of it if we choose to be. I love you all :) I hope that you have a great week and that you are continually growing in all aspects of life. Seize every moment and keep pressing onward!

Ayoo' Aniinishni * (The pronunciation of this, as best as I can write, is: I-yoh-nishney. It means I Love you in Navajo :)

Can't beat that for a planter box right? Haha :)

Navajo Children are just so stinking Cute! ​

No comments:

Post a Comment