Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Good Enough

Dear Family and Friends,
 
I am so excited that I get to spend another transfer here in the Sage area! Elder Hardy and I are going to stick around and get some work done for another six weeks. Things are going so well here! I was honored to Baptize Frank this last weekend. We originally contacted him through a media referral in which he had requested a bible. We taught him the restoration and then passed him off to the young single adult sisters in the Manzano branch. Now only about three weeks later he has quit smoking and is baptized! Oh another note about saturday, IT SNOWED A TON. Ok for Albuquerque it is a ton, but from what I hear it may be even more than what is going on back home in Logan. We got a good six inches and the mission kind of shut down, as did the rest of the city. Luckily (Sort of) we didn't get the mission-wide text that morning telling us to stay off the roads until firther notice and I drove us safely down to Los Lunas to participate in the Baptism.
This week we have been very busy and we didn't get to teach as many lessons but we had some wonderful experiences. One of my favorite parts of the week was in chruch Brother Jimenez told me that he is so happy that I am serving here. He told me that he really knows that I care about the people and the Sanchez family who is taking the temple prep class from the Jimenez' is always talking about me. I don't want to say this in vanity because that is not what I am trying to do. It is all God and his gospel that brings joy and he is the "only one that is good" Matt 19:16. But Brother Jimenez told me something that I have heard and I really liked the reminder. He said that "Noone cares how much you know, until they know how much you care." I know that this is true. I am so grateful to be counted worthy to serve the Lord in this capacity.
 
The thing that I want to emphasize this week is along the lines of being "Good." Or "be ye therefore perfect." Well let me say that no matter what we do there is never any chance that we can cover any of the distance between us and God alone. It is all because of Christ's grace that we are even allowed to have a hope of life or salvation. So in that sense we are not good enough, only through Christ. We all have to rely on the mercies of him who is mighty to save. But when we do that then we are able to obtain a hope. Not only a hope but a "perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men..." 2 Nephi 31: 20. We are not perfect, but we are good enough. You are good enough. Each of you. I'll try to do a little diagram for this next part. UnWorthy---Worthy--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Perfection. Hopefully that is sufficient. The idea is that there is only a small difference for each of us from being unworthy to being worthy. But the path to perfection is much longer. It's not a destination, it is a journey. The Hope of Christ helps us each to continue in that journey and progress in life. I love you all and I hope you have a great week!
 
Elder McGarry
 
P.S. I'm still waiting for testimonies to put in some books!!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment