Tuesday, March 17, 2015

St. Patrick's Day

Dear Family and Friends,

Where to start.. I often have this problem because there is so much I could tell you. So many people that are preparing to be baptized, about 9 right now. n particular though we have Martin who is going to be baptized this Saturday by his son Frank. Frank is a miracle story in himself, we made first contact with him about a month and a half ago. Now He is an Aaronic Priesthood holder and we have had the privilege to teach his father, Martin since we met him at Frank's Baptism on the 28th of Feb.  So, less than a month later, he is going to have the chance to baptize his father! So cool.

The struggles of missionary work are, honestly hard for me to call struggles. I know it is hard to see people go through what they do, but it is so worth it to see the reward and the joy that comes from all of it.

Nelida, who I had the chance to baptize on Feb. 14th, gave a talk in Sacrament meeting this Sunday. It was so cool to be apart of that. I can just think right now, in a year from that day Neli and Jose get to go to the temple and be sealed and I might have the privilege to go to that as well. Another Miracle, Stacey who has been less active for a number of years has been meeting with us and her husband Anthony is going to be baptized next month. I look forward to that day but also to the year from that day when I will get to attend their temple sealing as well. These experiences are the kind that 'fill your lamp' and the true value is hard to express. But the significance can be understood. Eternal Life is something we strive to understand but have Faith in obtaining so that we can fully understand by experience. Just like we had no idea what mortal life would be like until we chose to come down to this life, we won't know what eternal life is like until we choose to prepare ourselves and obey the laws that are necessary to live in that state.
 
Let every man and woman learn their calling and purpose and fulfill it with all diligence. (paraphrasing D&C 107: 99) Each of us take  different path, but have the same goal in mind. So in celebrating the Holiday today I urge each of us to also celebrate the gift of the Atonement which is the greatest gift this world has been given. I can honestly say that some days I don't know how the Atonement can apply to what I am going through, but I have faith that it does. My desire is to better understand and utilize this gift in each moment of each day. It is through faith and desire and diligence that this is possible. In times of discouragement always remember that it is better to look up. Look up to the Father who gave you life, because he is always looking to you with arms open inviting you to come. I love you all!
Elder McGarry

No comments:

Post a Comment