Tuesday, March 24, 2015

How Easy is The Way

Dear Family and Friends,

I am humbled and blessed daily. I love getting to know people and see things from their perspective. I have a huge opportunity here in the mission field where people are able to open up in a way that they otherwise would not in many cases. I take that responsibility very seriously. For that reason I try not to share to many personal things. I did have an experience this week though that changed my perspective for the future and I'll get to that in a second. I have had the honor of being part of Martin's Baptism, by his son Frank. It was beautiful :) I got to share my testimony right after the baptism itself. I know that these are the days that I will look back on for years to come, but more importantly that I will strive to see more of in the years to come. 

Humility can be a very hard thing to overcome. It requires a change of personality and character in a lot of ways. It's hard to admit that you are wrong. The opposite of humility is pride, and it is a desolating disease. It can sneak in at any stage of life or in any kind of relationship. I have seen how pride can destroy people's love for each other. I feel that to be prideful is to say that you do not want understanding. You feel that you are right. You area "knower" and no-one else knows as good as you. Is that not what pride tells us? Or at least that in order to fill our responsibilities we have to do it ourselves without help from outside. In contrast being humble is to say that I do not know what is best. Maybe my (In my case it would be companion) SOMEONE(Insert Bishop, Spouse, Councilor, Parent, Heavenly Father) knows better than I do. Alma 7 talks about how we need to 'come and fear not, and lay aside every sin which doth easily beset us.' Is it scary to say that you are wrong? Is it hard? Is it enjoyable? Some hearts may say "What will people think to know that I, of all people, made a mistake or that I don't know what to do?" This week I had an introspective view of what this kind of thinking leads to. A family was divided against itself. I can only say that a house divided against itself will not stand. Nevertheless, I know that God provides a way for all of his children to be complete and whole and to be equal heirs to that kingdom he has prepared for them. My desperate plea to this circumstance is that each of us will be humble enough to let go of our own pride, because it get us absolutely nothing but pain and sorrow. I have seen this in my life. 

The scriptures teach us to be ware of Pride. I would say that even more than that, dispel pride and be eager to accept guidance and council in truth. Strive to be unified in whatever you do. It takes a LOT of Humility and Patience. But it will turn out :) I know that it's not easy to get along with some people, I am probably one of them, I don't know because I haven't had to put up with me in that way ;) but I'm grateful for those of you that have. We are nothing without our loving Father in Heaven. I know that he loves each and every one of us. I know that he wants us all to have a personal relationship with him. If you haven't built one then start now :) Just like the children of Israel had to only look to the staff to be healed, we only have to look to our Father in Heaven. Let us not be slothful because of the easiness of the way. Remember to exercise faith, and humility unto repentance. I love you all and can't wait to hear from many of you :) (Yes that is an invitation to write back)

Have a great week!
Elder McGarry
 
 
Baptism

Redneck'n it before dinner with the Sanchez Family :)​

No comments:

Post a Comment