Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Finding

Dear Family and Friends,

Another great week down here in the desert southwest. There has been a little snow, but nothing to get too worked up about. If you want to don anything with it you have to do it before 10:00 am and as you know, there is not even enough time to do the things I already need to do, so I'll just have to build a really big snowman when I get home. As for the work here in New Mexico, we are seeing serious measurable progression. We have 6 investigators with a baptismal date and two weddings coming up! I am so excited to see the next few weeks and how they will pan out. It's already half way through my third transfer and I can't believe it. I just got here.

This weekend I am so excited to go to Lisa's baptism. Elder Christensen and I had the honor of teaching the first two lessons she ever had with missionaries. The Zone leaders gave us a referral for her and told us she was in our area... turns out she wasn't. So even though a mistake seems to be a mistake, it never is. She asked me to speak about the Holy Ghost at her service and I am honored. As for other news, Nellie and Jose are going to get married, before Valentine's day and be baptized on Valentine's day. That is the plan for right now, and they are so excited. Jose is beaming every time I see him and he really is so ready. He has been drinking coffee for Years, we had one lesson with him on the word of wisdom, and he hasn't touched it since. That was a miracle in itself. I can't wait!

So my thoughts are beginning to be turned more toward finding. In my purposes that means finding new people to teach, new children who God has prepared to receive his gospel. But that may not be the case for all who are reading this. So for finding I'll touch on another aspect. In stake conference there was a big emphasis on missionary work. Our Mission President shared 3 phases of missionary work. The first is full-time missionary's efforts: Finding teaching baptizing. The second is the ward: Feeding missionaries, giving rides, coming to lessons, visiting and home teaching. The third is All of us: The ward is finding, helping set up teaching, fellowshipping, inviting people by their own choice to learn more about the restored gospel. I can say that this is not a new idea. The church has emphasized every member a missionary for years. But I can add this testimony. I have seen in the area that I am working, since coming and inviting people to participate and them responding with vigor and willingness, I have seen the miraculous power that comes from that third phase. How do we achieve it though? Only through deepening our own personal conversion! The "Primary answers" are not just a response to give when asked a gospel related question. They are truly simple things that we can do that have a profound influence in our lives. The Lord asks so little of us, let us not be "forgetful hearer[s], but doer[s] of the work." James 1:21. If Joseph Smith, had only read the verse in James 1:5 and not followed the council given in the rest of the chapter, he would not have had the chance to partake of the path that he did. But we all have this same opportunity to seize the blessings that God has for us right now, if we only DO the things he has asked. Act in Charity and have faith enough to show to our Father and the World that he is a God of Miracles Today, as he was yesterday, and as he surely will be, forever and ever.

I love you and pray for you. Have a great week!

Elder McGarry
 
Elder Hardy, Steve Whyrick and Me

Atrisco High School in our area is where the opening scene from Avengers was filmed. Fun Fact
 

No comments:

Post a Comment