Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Happiness

Dear Family and Friends,
 
This week has been brutal for indicators of progress. We have had meetings as we do during the first or second weeks of a new month and many people have been away from home, including us, in the outlying communities for many different activities. I guess summer is in full swing! I have heard reports from many of you of rain storms and lightning! There has been no shortage of that here! I have seen a great deal of lightning nearly every day for the past three weeks! On one occasion we were driving down a hill into a recent convert's family residence and the very hill we were on got struck, violently shaking the surrounding environment and deafening our ears. Not five mintues later after sitting down on the couch in the home, another bolt in the back yard rattled windows and left me gripping the arm of the couch, hoping to catch another breath of air. Fireworks hold no candle to a true lightning storm. That's all I have to say about that.
 
Despite all of the events of the week that could be disclosed as reasons for despair and discouragement, I hold high hopes for improvements to come. I am also happy to report another Baptism this past weekend! April is a truly faithful and sincere person. We had a very powerful discussion in which we were going over the baptismal interview questions and it came to the Prophet Joseph Smith. She said she is just barely learning about Jesus Christ and she wants to follow him. Her concerns were evident, so we talked a little about her feelings and invited her to pray to know that these things are true. The power of a pure simple prayer with real intent cannot reasonably be described through medium of simple words. But I can say that The spirit was nearly tangible in that room as she sincerely spoke with her Father in Heaven. I read a passage from Alma 32 after which she said it was Exactly the way that she felt. We all learned an important lesson on Faith that day and she truly accepted the invitation of the savior, purely through Faith, having no other witness than the simple and powerful word of God that entered her heart. The Baptism was simple, only her mother attended aside from me my companion and our branch Elder's Quorum President.
 
We just got inducted into an educational recognition activity. We e-mail at the Adult Education Center here on the reservation and it is the end of their fiscal year. With that comes reports as we all know, and with that they are recognizing advancements people have made. I think that is such a good thing to celebrate! Even better than a birthday. But that's my opinion. There was some great food though so that was good :) Now getting back into this real quick. 
 
 I can say that from these I know that Pure Happiness comes from living the Gospel and, more importantly, keeping the commandments. We all cam from the presence of God and all of us, good or bad, who have been born into the world are given the light of Christ. When we learn of the truths we once knew before we were born into mortality they will feel right. If we choose not to live by them then we are going against our eternal nature. Have you ever known someone that lives a "double life" or a "double standard?" I have, because I am one of them. I think we all are to some degree. Yet I bring up this example because when we see it in others it is so easy to distinguish and often ostracize. "Ye cannot serve two masters," "I would that ye would be either Hot or Cold." Happiness doesn't come from jumping around to whatever seems the most exciting, or energizing, or pleasing. I think you all know that very well. Yet sometimes our natural and mortal frame succumbs to these simple quick fixes. Really we need a solid foundation built up with values and standards that we can live true to. Things that we can measure ourselves against that are NOT worldly standards that change overnight, with every whim and lustful desire people imagine up in their hearts. That foundation comes when we have faith in Jesus Christ. When we choose to keep the commandments it is so liberating because we are being true to our eternal nature. When you are totally and completely true to your God and yourself, then confidence in and of eternal potential are only a natural result. Then none of the worldly standards even matter. The only thing that matters is truth. I hope that we can all continue to find the eternal truths that God is trying to guide us to. I know that there is much pain and confusion and doubt. None of that will stand in the presence of truth and pure knowledge with comes from repentance. This is a glimpse of the feeling that I had from the experience of teaching, but more importantly learning from April this week. I love you all very much and hope that you are well. Have a great week!
 
Ayoo' Aniinishni
 
April's Baptism!!

Another Cute Puppy. Taken while playing with Tonka Trucks with Malcom, Anlgelita's son. ​(Angelita was the first person Baptized when I got here. She's in Alaska working for the summer.)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment