Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Mighty Change of Heart

Dear Family and Freinds,
 
I am so blessed in so many ways. This week I felt it nessecary to talk about this. In the lives of so many people we see a pretty consistant desire to be happy and succesful. Life is a challenge for a reason. If any of us hope to realize true and lasting happiness we have to feel pain.2 Nephi describes in great detail why opposition is required. But to put it to a quick point without opposition in all things we would all be completely ignorant. I think of my own pride. One of my six beautiful sisters mentioned to me this week how she noticed pride can be so so sneaky. It sneaks into aspects of our life wherever and whenever it can. With my pride I have a constant battle. I don't think that I am better than other people, I don't think that I am the best at anything. I try not to boast or become aloof or highminded. I can say after contemplating for a few months that Pride is one of my biggest fears. The Savior said to "Beware of Pride." I think for me the mighty change of heart described in Alma 5 is a result of becoming so humble that we are completely and utterly reliant on the Savior for every moment because we are simple and imperfect. We all need him.
 
The change of heart is not something that comes easily for most. It requires effort. Like rolling a snowball, it gets harder along the way too. Alma had a tremendous experience in his life that helped his change. An Angel came and struck him down for three days. But still later in Alma 37 he is feeling the "growing pains" of conversion. He is seeing the pain of other people and He himself is being tested in patience and tribulation. Why do we see people that have a testimony, or that is to say that they have exercised faith to the point that they have gained a whitness of the truth and therefore a knowledge in part, fall away from that? Their heart has changed and then it has reverted. It is all too common and sad that it happens but it does. I have been trying to help people see this point for six months now, and still it is not getting through in some cases. I have many stories of growth and miracles in people's lives, but the one that really matters for each of us is the one that we make in our lives.
 
I pray for this mighty change in my heart because at any moment even the most elect, like Lucifer, can be lead into diverse and forbidden paths. It is a mighty change to decide to keep trying. It is a mighty change to become cleansed through the atonement of the Savior, and I testify that it is the sweetest joy to be changed and to come line with the Savior's will. It is even better to continue on that path and obtain the gift of eternal life. I love you all and hope you have a great week!
 
Love, 
Elder McGarry
 
Elder Campbell is sad to be leaving Area, I am sad he left too but Hopefully we'll be companions sometime. He's a stud!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment