Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Change and Momentum

Dear Family and Friends,
I am so happy. I can't choose one thing that I am happy about. I am also a little bit nervous. The 20th of January is our next transfer, and I am just finishing my 12th week which is the "training" period. That means I will most likely get a new companion. Who know what the Lord has planned though, I just excited to be a part of any piece I can be. The momentum in this area is perpetuating. Last week we had 43 lessons and it was only possible because the members are enthusiastically supporting us and helping to get the work done. I want to add in here, I don't care about the number of lessons we had. I care only that each one of them had a significant impact on my life and the lives of those we are teaching. I am continually amazed that the Lord can make anything happen.

​ The two biggest lessons of this week. (See things are hastening because now there are two lessons for the week, That's double! Or I'm just a slow learner so I have to have double duty.) Diligence and Obedience. ​I know that obedience is the Only way that we can receive the promised blessings of the gospel. We are not only rewarded by obedience, we are protected. There are very real forces both seen and unseen in this world that we all know of that are around us trying to exert their influence. I have felt very strongly this week that the only way that we can be protected from these influences is by strict obedience to God's commands. Just as it says in the scriptures over and over, if we live according to God's command then we will prosper, if not we will be cut off. Being left alone by our own choice. What a sad thing that is for our Father in Heaven to see. Yet His arms are stretched out still! By being obedient we are strengthened not only in our own efforts but by the efforts of those others who are striving to bring about the works of righteousness. That doesn't mean that it will be easy though. In fact it is more often quite the opposite.
Diligence. This is where it becomes imperative that we make our choices based on the promptings of the Holy Ghost. The adversary sees that when we are making progress in our lives that our light is growing. he will go to any measure to slip in deception or an easy way out. We may feel like we gave it a good effort. We might think that God will understand 'this time'. By recognizing that we have a purpose and that God Can Not do it for us (or he would cease to be God) it helps give strength to push through. Diligence is an important key, and a Christlike attribute that is often left on the shelf. Only dusted off to be used when there is an Emergency or we Really need something. So if we are to be fully obedient and obtain the Lord's kingdom, we must seek diligently his words and the guidance of the Holy Ghost. It is not easy but it is possible. Alma 5:46, Alma 40:3. All great things are brought to our understanding through Christ-like attributes applied with diligence. Faith, Patience, Love, Humility, Virtue, Knowledge and all these things shall give us experience. That is the beauty of life. Momentum is just a great blessing that comes from constant application of diligence. It's easy to keep it going if it's already started.
I hope you all have a wonderful week! Know that I love you and that those that are working to bring about the Lord's kingdom are far greater than those that are not. Though it may not seem that way at times. Rely on the Savior and his peace will fill your heart.
 
Love,
Elder McGarry

Sage and Rio Grande Zone Leaders!

Lesson with Sisters Cortez/Clark and Investigator Carmelita. ​

No comments:

Post a Comment