Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Dear family and friends,


I am always torn about what I should write because there is so much that I would like to say. That being said, I'll start with Thanksgiving day. We had a wonderful time with members and ate a ton of food. We started out with traditional thanksgiving turkey dinner, then we went and had Chili Rellenos with green chili(New Mexico specialty), then finished off the night with some amazing homemade Calzones (See Jon, I get a little taste of Italy here even!) We also had some little cards that Elder Christensen and I made to give to people with a little scripture. It was a great day.
We have a very productive week. We are pretty sad that Manuel is not progressing anymore. He is the one that was doing a World Religion class and chose to learn more about our church. On a more positive note, we have a baptismal date with an investigator named Donald Pitts who has been investigating for Nine Years. The Lord has really been working with him and we felt prompted the last couple of times to give him a little push. The power of the Spirit is so amazing and it's a beautiful thing to be a part of. The date is out four months, but it is a step to the right direction. Another amazing thing that has happened is we were out contacting this last week and found an older gentleman named Alex. He is really open minded and when we met with him for the first time last night, he said that he wished that he had more power or authority to act in the name of Jesus Christ. The spirit guided us to him at just the right moment and that is a miracle in itself. We are so excited to learn and grow with him and help him accept the ordinances and principles of the restored gospel. The blessings are so limitless if we rely on the Lord. Another investigator Named Timothy is working to quit smoking. He has been working so hard and even pushing himself more than we would have thought he would. We are going to work toward a baptismal date this week.
My favorite thing I've learned this week, or the thing that sticks out to me the most right now, is D&C 121:45 "Then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God" How do we as imperfect beings gain confidence to be with God? It is only through Faith in Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice that we can be cleansed from sin to have that confidence. When Virtue is the garnish of our thoughts we have no desire to do evil, but as Alma 13 talks about we look at sin only with abhorrence. The work is good and not without struggle by any means. Friday last week, we had plans fall through over and over, but we kept a prayer that we would be guided to where we needed to be. Let me tell you, prayers are answered we ended up trying by a family that we have missed the last two weeks and found out that recently the husbands father had passed away. They are a middle aged couple and they were in pain and had a lot going on especially right after Thanksgiving. We were able to teach a beautiful message about the plan of Salvation and bear strong testimony of the plan in it's perfection. The wife has never sat to listen to our messages before now and this time she even accepted an invitation to read Alma 40 which talks about the resurrection and eternal life. My companion and I are so grateful for the area we are in and the people that we are able to serve.
Sorry this one is a little more surface deep I guess I'd say. There is a lot going on and what I'm doing is more in the forefront of my mind so anyway, just like the Moroni, I feel that my written words are insufficient. I love you all very much and continue to pray for you. Scripture for thought 1 John 4:8 "For he that loveth not, knoweth not God, for God is Love." This is one of my all time favorites and can be applied to any circumstance. Act in Love and you will not regret or look back wishing for change. This I know to be true.
Have a great week!

Elder McGarry
 The elders from our apartment. We had an epic rubberband fight last night!!! P day shenanagins
Thanksgiving dinner at a members house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment