Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Spirit

Dear Family and Friends,
The Lord is good. Elder Christensen and I have been so blessed this week. I don't even know where to start. The Sage Ward is full of excitement. There are miracles and people are really reaching out and sharing the Love of Christ in abundance. We have had the best week of our Mission along with some of the most spiritual days of my life. Hopefully I can put into words my feelings and thoughts.
First of all, I know that the power of the priesthood is real. I have seen many miracles brought to pass, people have been healed, minds have been cleansed, hearts have been changed. It is such a great blessing to be able to serve and bring about the Lord's work in all aspects of life.
The thing that really stands out to me this week, and I've had a inclination to this idea for a while now. The word Remember is used in the scriptures fairly often. I have made a point to highlight it every time I see it and here is why. Remember when we lived in the spirit world with our father in heaven? Wait no we can't because the veil was placed over us so we would have to rely on the spirit and Faith to gain a Hope of Salvation. So every time we are told to remember it is an invitation to bring things to the front of our mind. These things are the most important for us to do, else why would they be preceded with the word remember? So we must remember, to keep ourselves in the world but not of the world we must have thoughts of holiness and virtue. Then we can gain confidence in the presence of God. (D&C 121:45)
By remembrance I want to pose a similar question to the one in Alma chapter 5. Have we sufficiently retained in remembrance the sacrifices that have gone in to the bringing forth of this last dispensation of the fulness of the Everlasting Gospel of Jesus Christ? Each of us will have a different idea of what those sacrifices might be and which ones mean the most to us individually. But the important thing is that we remember them. Now if you were called at this time to die, would you be able to stand before our Savior and say that you have been sufficiently humble? Things to ponder. I know that life is busy at this time of year: there is excitement, there is recollection, there is joy, there is peace, and most importantly I surely Hope that each of us can feel that there is Love. For Perfect Love casteth out All fear. (Moroni 7) Through perfect love we are brought to sing the song of redemption and that Christ has risen. We are so frail and simple, but with a touch of the master's hand we can become just like him. Only through his great love. I Love this work.
We have exciting news for the coming month! Four baptisms are coming up, Andrew (Date pending for his father's work schedule), Michelle (Jan 10), Nelly (Jan 24), and Lisa (Jan 31). I can't wait to share the experiences as the time progresses. More will come because the Lord is hastening his work day by day just as it says in Isaiah. Trials are still abundant, but I look at them only with great excitement because I personally Know that the lord giveth no commandment save he shall prepare a way for us to accomplish the things which he does command us. This I testify to be true and I have gain this through diligence and prayer and studying. I hope that we all can take this spirit with us into the coming months and years as we draw closer to the day when our Savior will come again.
I love you all,
 
Merry Christmas!
 
Elder McGarry
P.S. For those of you who want to receive my e-mails directly to your inbox please let me know. I have the blog set up for ease of access but I also want to hear your preference. I'll be making a list of the people that I send this directly to their e-mail every week. Other will still be able to access it at the blog where my messages are uploaded. (Big thanks to My sister Rachel!!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment