Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Desire and Gratitude

Dear Family and Friends,

This week has been great so far! We have had Zone Conference with all of the North Zones so far, and in a little bit we will be heading down to El Paso for the South Zone Conference. This is President Miller's last Zone Conference with the mission so we have been immensely blessed by the spirit and the testimonies of him and Sister Miller. 

The main focus of Zone Conference has been using Preach My Gospel more effectively. It has been great seeing all the trainings and participating in them as well. One thing that has stood out to me above most other things has been spiritual gifts and specifically the Gift Spiritual of Power. I have never thought of spiritual power in that sense before. My favorite examples of spiritual power are in the 2 Nephi 33, 3 Nephi 7:17-19, and Moroni's last exortations in Chapter 10. In each of these it is a witness with such power that it cannot be denied, or with such confidence that they will stand before us at the bar of judgement. In these examples I love to consider the sacrifices that have been made, most of which not even accounted for, in order that we might have this record of the Book of Mormon. I am deeply humbled by that thought. Along with the Book of Mormon, I have come to realize that Preach My Gospel is an inspired book. Many times I have wondered what more I must do to improve without much direction or guidance. Over the past few months I have turned more to Preach my Gospel than ever before and have been richly blessed with greater direction and purpose than before. I read in a conference talk by President Eyring, that the most important feeling that we can remember is the Love of our Savior. This is what I find repeatedly in Preach My Gospel. Applying that to "regular" life I take it to realize that though we have many temporal tools and stewardships on this life, the ultimate purpose is spiritual progression. As it mentions in the Doctrine and Covenants that all commandments are spiritual in God's eyes. These things make me so grateful for a perfect plan and a loving Father in Heaven. 

That leads me to another thing that I read in the same talk by President Eyring (Put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good April 2016 Women's Conference). He said in the opening statements "Our desire to serve others is magnified by our gratitude for what the Savior has done for us." I would also apply that to all aspects of life that our desires increase as our gratitude in almost any respect. This was an eye opening realization for me. I have often wondered how I can strengthen my desire and my drive and motivation. I am just learning lots this week! I have a renewed resolution to show my gratitude and to express more fervently to my Father in Heaven how much I truly am grateful for his mindfulness of me throughout my life. Another profound blessing is each of my family and friends that have helped me along the way. I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week!

Elder McGarry

 ​We got to go on the longest tram in the world today! Here are some pics from the top :)​



No comments:

Post a Comment