Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Scriptures

Dear Family and Friends,

This week has been really great! We have found a good number of people to teach and are still working with others that are progressing toward baptism! One in particular, we just need to help him make it to church and He'll be ready on the 30th. Hopefully he can endure the sitting with herniated disks that are nearly debilitating. I can sympathize as it has been a situation I am privy to in my personal experience as well as in close familial ties. I do know that if the desire is strong enough and faith is sufficient, all things are possible. I have read in D&C 42 a lot this week that talks about that very thing, of faith and the will of the Lord. I am caused to reflect on the closing chapter of 2 Nephi and the words which were "written in weakness" and how he considers them to be of "great worth." I don't know about any of you, but if I could write with half the zeal and propensity of spirituality that Nephi did I would be quite satisfied. That is neither here nor there though as the things he has written, and by his course of action in his life caused to be written, have literally been more influential in this world than any other piece of writing known to man. How powerful is it to know that the Book of Mormon is the most true of any book upon the face of the whole earth? What a blessing it is to have such a book. 

Scriptures are so important. I have neglected too many times in my life to give as much attention and heed to the council therein as I should. They are literally the result of sacrifice and devotion of so may servants of God, who gave their lives to him, and put him as the first priority realizing simply that God wants what is best his children even more than they do. Many times we can't even realize what is the best choice for us, that's why there is so much uncertainty, and confusion in this life. The only reason we have as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints to be uncertain or confused is that we have not sought the Lord and his council in earnest. If there is even a glimmer of faith that the Scriptures are true in someone, and they don't turn to them in times of confusion or trial, why would God undertake to show himself to them or to speak to them when they have not even sought to understand what has already been manifest through his revelations to those who have given him their all? I am certainly guilty of the thought process of wanting God to just show me what to do, or to tell me what is true. More and more I realize the truth of God's admonition through James in Chapter one of his epistle. He has said to act in faith and ask for that which we are lacking. Throughout the rest of that phenomenal book of James, God shows a pattern of what we must do in order to receive that guidance. He says we must be DOERS of the word, and not hears only. He says that we must not knowingly do that which he has advised against. This is Sin. He will not lower his expectations. He cannot for he would at that moment cease to be God. Therefore we must simply abide by that which we have been given and instructed in so far. Simply put, we must read and understand the words of God, and repent of any actions or choices that lead us contrary to his word. All things point to the Knowledge and Wisdom of God and his Love for his children is shown in every minute particle of this universe. This path of repentance and seeking the will of the Lord is only to be undertaken through prayer. Sincere and heartfelt prayer and by showing we have a broken heart and a contrite spirit we are giving our will to him who knows who we are and who we are becoming. He will make us to become, if we allow him to and only after we have sought diligently and faithfully in that which we have already been given. Applied to the parable of the talents, everyone reading this has the talent of reading. Is that talent being used in the right ways? and is it being used to draw you closer to God? 

I hope this is a message that makes sense. I have been called to repentance, and I am striving to understand what has been taught through the Lord's Holy Prophets. For me, I have seen over and over how much of a difference reading the scriptures every day makes in my life. I am so thankful for the daily manifestations of the Spirit that come from this simple and divine commandment. It is truly by small and simple things that Great things are brought to pass. So small and simple, that we overlook and doubt the significance of it all too often. 

I am excited for this new week, and I am glad to be a missionary! The area we are in is thriving and I can't wait to see what more miracles are in store. I love you all! Have a great week!
 
Elder McGarry
 
 
 My wonderful Companion​, in Old Mesilla 

Me in Old Mesilla :)

No comments:

Post a Comment