Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Peace in This World

Dear Family and Friends,

It was quite a shock to hear of my grandmother's passing last night. I can honestly say that one of the hardest things I have ever done was to say goodbye to my grandma not knowing if I would see her again in this life. She was one of my closest friends. Someone that I grew up around, and laughed with, and served (albeit begrudgingly at times), and above all someone that helped me see more of my own potential than I could have grasped on my own. It doesn't feel like it has really sunk in yet. I just want everyone to know how much I love her and how much I look forward to seeing her again on that beautiful bright millennial day. Most of what I feel can't be put into words, but what I can describe is a reassuring sense of peace. The few times I considered the possibility of this happening I imagined that there would be pain, and sorrow and anguish. While admitting I am indeed saddened by the occurrence, I am yet swallowed up in the joy of the resurrection. "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." 

I send my love and deepest wishes of peace for each of you that have been affected by her passing. 

I need to clarify something that has been in confusion. Then I won't bring it up again because I don't want to dwell on it. My I will be flying home on October 19 around the middle of the day. Exact times during the day will be given the week before I leave, otherwise I will refer you back to this statement. That being said I'll shift gears to missionary mindset. 

The past week has been spent on exchanges with all the Zone Leaders throughout the mission. 11 companionships in 5 days is a fair amount to coordinate, luckily this is the Lord's work and he makes things work out the way they need to. I have been made more abundantly aware of what great missionaries and young men we have as Latter-Day Saints. To add to that I have seen first-hand the mighty change of heart wrought in a dear friend who was recently baptized. Chris shared his testimony with me and two other missionaries and the spirit pierced my heart. I haven'e felt the spirit so strongly for quite a while, and the amazing part is that his words were plain easy to be understood by anyone who would have heard. Yet the power truly shook me to the core. Faith in Jesus Christ is essential first. Repentance is change wrought within us; both a commandment and a blessing it allows a way that we don't have to suffer, we don't have to hurt, we don't have to have the pain of guilt and shame. These are not the exact words Chris shared, though in similar fashion I echo the message that was witnessed to by him. Though I have learned a lot this week, much yet do I lack which encourages me to push forward undaunted by the weakness of my flesh. The spirit carries us through when we learn to rely on it and trust in our Father and His Plan. By so doing we shall have peace in this life and following the Gospel plan allows us to be heirs of Eternal Life. Potential to become like our Father in Heaven.

I love you all! Have a great week!
 
Elder McGarry

No comments:

Post a Comment